Welcome to London, England, the World!
Well, what can I say? You have got a real treat in store. The first few days might feel a bit weird, I should imagine. It is very loud and bright isn't it, and people keep touching you and holding your tiny hands and saying 'oooo' and 'ahhhh' as if you were a firework whooshing in the sky. Well actually you are a firework, an absolutely stunning little cracker so it is an easy mistake.
Now, may I please make a few introductions. I think you know your beautiful mummy quite well now - she is the tired but radiant looking lady laying peacefully over there, the person you keep staring at and who keeps staring back at you with complete and utter adoration. She worked very hard to transport you here and even though I think she may be protecting me by saying 'IT WASN'T THAT BAD', Freddie, I think she might be telling fibs to Auntie Nicola. However she did tell me it was all worth it and I know by looking at you right now she is telling the solemn truth. You are stunning.
Then there is Daddy, the tall, handsome and very proud man who still looks a bit in shock, in awe, still checking Mummy is OK and that this is not a dream and you are actually here. He is clearly on top of the world; as if Crystal Palace just got promoted and AFC Lanes won the league, all at the same time. Oh, you will find out a little bit more about Crystal Palace soon enough, don't you worry.
Nana is the one holding you and making baby noises and the one who knows how to do your nappy up properly and everything. Isn't she lovely? I can guarantee you will be loved forever and ever. She makes everyone feel loved and happy. She helped bring you into this world too.
Look, there's Granddad! He's the cool dude in the checked shirt taking photos and cooing and waving and standing safely back when it is time for your nappy to be changed and stuff. Don't worry Freddie. he is my Daddy and apparently he is very good at changing nappies, he did mine. He is happy as there is another man in the family. There has been lots of girls you see. He is amazing, a big softie despite being very tall. But please do not tell him I told you that, that is our little secret.
Now, you haven't met Auntie Michelle yet as she lives waaaaay over the over side of the world, in Australia. She would give anything to jump on a big aeroplane (sorry, I am going too fast, I will tell you all about this just before you jump on one in March 2012 to see her) right now but as I whispered gently in one of your beautiful ears earlier, she loves you already and hasn't even met you yet! But she has seen a photo and her and her lovely fiance Craig toasted your wonderful entrance into this world with wine and beer. They love wine and beer.
You haven't met Uncle Alex yet either! He is a very special, amazing man. He is so excited about meeting you and yesterday when we found out you were on your way into this world, Uncle Alex was so excited he nearly jumped out of his seat! We were eating brunch (breakfast + lunch - together!) at The Breakfast Club (from the 80s Freddie, during which Auntie Michelle was born and where Auntie Nicola lives in her head most of the time). In the background we heard playing You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon and Loco in Acapulco by The Four Tops. We said we would never forget that moment or those songs, and we won't ever. Oh, sorry to embarrass you with old music Freddie, I will come to that later.
Uncle Alex also loves you and cannot wait to meet you. He may be naughty though and try to make you say 'West' or 'Ham' but I will keep my ears open.
You will also meet Nana Christine, and your honorary Grandparents Jenifer and Philip very soon - lucky boy, they are all lovely!
So, I am your Auntie now and on this day, your birthday, I'm going to make some promises.
- I promise I won't try to turn you into a vegetarian or make you eat lentils of wear something with beads or sequins on it. (Although Freddie have you SEEN the Little Marc Jacobs ready to wear collection??)
- I promise I will not embarrass you in front of your friends by crying every time I see you. This will not be a regular occurrence honestly, although I know you're suspicious after today's performance and quite rightly so
- I promise to learn how to hold you properly. That did not look comfortable
- I promise I will not over protect you when you get older. You already proved yourself to be a brave solder and so don't need me sticking up for you. Although I swear if anyone...
- I promise not to take photos all the time or talk about old music or worse still, dance to it! If I do, Uncle Alex will teach you how to raise your eyes to heaven or concentrate intently on the football and ignore me in the hope I'll stop. He is the master of this
- I promise I will not always dress like I've been on the road with a band. Scruffy Auntie was caught unawares and did not bring 'Meet Gorgeous Nephew' outfit. This will not happen again
- I promise to be the best Auntie I can be, just like my own amazing aunties. Having all of them is like having a real life instruction manual and I shall be consulting with the manuals over the next few days
- Mostly. I promise to love you forever Freddie. You are absolutely divine.
I love you.
Auntie Nicola xx